Mexidol and Cerebrolysin - drugs that protect nerve cells from the effects of damaging factors. The use of drugs helps to prevent the development of dangerous diseases caused by impaired cerebral circulation. The study of the properties of neuroprotectors allows you to choose the right drug.
How to act on the body?
Mexidol has such effects on the body:
- slows oxidation reactions, preventing the destruction of components of cell membranes;
- increases the resistance of nerve tissues to oxygen deficiency, improves the absorption of this substance;
- restores the resistance of nerve and muscle cells to oxygen-dependent states (shock, ischemia, stress and physical exertion);
- restores higher mental functions;
- protects liver cells from the toxic effects of alcohol and chemicals;
- restores cerebral circulation;
- reduces cholesterol levels in the blood.
The components that make up Cerebrolysin are extracted from the brain tissue of pigs. The drug contains peptides and amino acids involved in the activity of the nervous system.
Cerebrolysin protects neurons in conditions of ischemia and psycho-emotional overloads.
Neuroprotector has the following properties:
- overcomes the blood-brain barrier;
- restores metabolic processes in cells;
- increases the speed of transmission of impulses between neurons;
- supports the course of chemical reactions, accompanied by the release of energy;
- promotes the production of protein compounds used to build muscles;
- prevents the accumulation of lactic acid in muscle tissue;
- protects tissues from the toxic effects of glutamic acid;
- increases the lifespan of brain cells.
Similarities and differences
The general characteristics of medicines are their actions:
- recovery of the nervous system;
- improvement of intellectual abilities;
- memory recovery.
The distinctive characteristics of medicines include:
- scope of application (Mexidol is most often used for pancreatitis, chronic alcoholism and neurotic Disorders, Cerebrolysin accelerates recovery from stroke, senile dementia and traumatic lesions. brain);
- manufacturing country (Cerebrolysin produced in Austria, Mexidol - in Russia);
- side effects (Cerebrolysin causes negative effects more often).
Indications for use
The combination of drugs prescribed for ischemic stroke, alcoholic encephalopathy, brain injury.
How to apply Mexidol and Cerebrolysin?
Neuroprotective agents are recommended in the form of injections and droppers.
Intramuscular and intravenous administration
The drugs are injected alternately, it is not recommended to mix the solutions in a single syringe. Perhaps a combination of intravenous injections of 10-50 ml of Cerebrolysin and intramuscular injections of Mexidol. The course of treatment lasts 3-4 weeks.
In some conditions of the body, dosage adjustment may be necessary.
Pregnancy and lactation
In pregnancy, drugs are prescribed in the presence of strict indications. During the period of lactation, it is impossible to introduce solutions.
Mexidol is contraindicated in children under 18 years of age. Cerebrolysin is administered in the minimum effective doses.
Older patients intramuscularly or intravenously administered standard doses of drugs.
Side Effects of Mexidol and Cerebrolysin
Intravenous and intramuscular injections can cause the following side effects:
- allergic reactions;
- nausea and vomiting;
- strong thirst;
- loose stools;
Contraindications to the use of Mexidol and Cerebrolysin
The drugs are not used for severe liver and kidney diseases, epilepsy, individual intolerance to the components.
Impact on driving
Cerebrolysin and Mexidol can cause headaches, coordination problems, and dizziness. During the period of treatment is to refrain from driving a car.
Interaction with other drugs
Cerebrolysin and Mexidol enhance the action of antidepressants and monoamine oxidase inhibitors. Drugs are incompatible with lipid and amino acid solutions.
Compatibility with alcohol
During the period of treatment with neuroprotective drugs from the use of alcohol should be abstained.
With the introduction of higher doses of drugs there is an increase in side effects from the digestive and nervous systems. The treatment is aimed at detoxifying the body.
Pharmacy sales terms
Drugs can be bought only by prescription.
Tablets and solutions for injection should be stored in a dark place at temperatures not above 20 ° C.
Injection solutions can be used for 5 years from the date of issue. Tablets can be stored no more than 3 years.
The following drugs have a similar effect:
The average cost of the considered neuroprotective agents is 1,100 rubles.
Dmitry, 45, Moscow: “For more than 2 years, I suffered from headaches that occur every week and cause a lot of inconvenience. In order to live and work normally, I had to take painkillers. I addressed this problem to a neurologist, who advised both Cerebrolysin and Mexidol to prick at the same time. A month later, feeling better. I think the only drawback is that the muscles at the injection site are sore ”.
Elena, 43 years old, Ulan-Ude: “My mom's drugs were prescribed after a stroke. In the hospital they were administered using droppers. The condition of mother after 2 weeks began to improve. Full recovery is not achieved, but it became more intelligible. Headaches disappeared. ”