In the last century, scientists have found that there are substances in the human body that can burn fat and increase muscle mass. Vitamin B was thought to have an effect, but it turned out that it was a coenzyme, it was called carnitine. The L-form is formed in a living organism, it is biologically active. The stores feature L- and D-forms of carnitine.
Both substances are not drugs, they are dietary supplements.
With course use, pharmacodynamics is as follows:
- activation of metabolism;
- fat loss;
- increased appetite;
- energy production at the cellular level;
- increased tissue regeneration;
- normalization of blood pH (increase in alkali, decrease in acids);
- Strengthening the body's protective function in response to the action of toxins.
Means use courses. The performance of the body increases, so the person becomes more resilient during prolonged physical exertion. Glycogen stores in the liver are consumed less.
- absorption is carried out through the mucous membrane of the digestive tract;
- the maximum dosage in the blood occurs 3 hours after administration;
- elimination goes through the kidneys.
Drugs affect the muscular system, liver, kidneys; the degree of blood coagulation is not affected.
What is the difference between L-carnitine and carnitine
Normally, the body itself produces L-carnitine. Sports doctors recommend buying L-carnitine during muscle building cycles. It promotes fat loss and increase efficiency. If you purchase carnitine, it contains the L- and D-forms together. The second variety inhibits the action of the first, so the activity decreases.
What does the prefix L mean
All enzymes in the human body are presented in 2 forms:
- left-handed or L-forms (L-carnitine);
- right spinning, or D-forms (carnitine).
L means that the atoms in the substance are turned to the left. If in the coenzyme the prefix D - the atoms are rotated to the right. In the human body produces the L-form, which is supplied to the organs and tissues from the liver.
Similarities and differences between L and D forms
The levogyrate form of coenzyme acts on the body's enzymes, causing fat burning and increasing muscle mass. If the D-form enters the body, the effects are formed to a lesser extent, the functionality of L-carnitine is reduced.
Both drugs are available in tablets or capsules. They act systemically on the entire body. But L-carnitine causes a greater effect. Man after his use becomes more enduring.
D-carnitine is not produced. Therefore, the effect of it is formed much slower. But the effect on the body, he has, like the L-form.
What is better L-carnitine or carnitine
Therapists and nutritionists recommend purchasing only L-carnitine. Right rotating isomers are considered obsolete, less effective, suppressing the action of the natural coenzyme of the body.
Therefore, people involved in sports, it is recommended to pay attention to the prefix L in the name of the drug. If the drug is called Carnitine, this means that right and left-handed isomers are present there.
Indications for use
Carnitine must be purchased on the testimony of a doctor:
- rehabilitation period after stroke, organ ischemia;
- difficulty of blood circulation in the brain;
- brain damage due to mechanical damage or poisoning;
- reduced adipose tissue in obesity.
Also, the tool is bought by people who want to increase the endurance of the body during exercise. It is recommended to combine the use of the drug and a healthy diet.
L-carnitine should be used in the following cases:
- cardiovascular diseases;
- reduced function of memory and attention;
- liver disease;
- pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas);
- malfunctions in the endocrine system (thyrotoxicosis);
- underweight, anorexia;
- growth and developmental delay;
- prematurity with low muscular index.
Composition and forms of release
The main active ingredient of L-carnitine is left carnitine. It produces tablets, powder, syrups. The solution is intended for intravenous administration, it is recommended for violations of cerebral circulation.
If a person purchases pills or powder, then it is worth considering that inside contains plus ascorbic acid.
How to take L-carnitine and carnitine
Funds are presented in 3 forms; for each - its own dose:
- Liquid preparation. Application is carried out intravenously. The maximum dosage is 0.5-1 g. The duration of the course depends on the condition of the patient.
- Tablets, capsules. Appointed with obesity or to increase lean body mass. The maximum dosage is 250-500 mg up to 3 times per day. If a person is a professional athlete, the dosage is increased by 2-3 times. The tablet or capsule is washed down with plenty of water.
- L-carnitine syrup. Apply without dilution. If it is too sweet for a person, you can drink it with water. The maximum dose - 5 ml no more than 3 times a day. If the athlete is professional, then 15 ml should be applied during training.
Exceeding the dosage may cause side effects; therefore, self-prescription is not recommended.
There are instructions for use in childhood and old age, pregnancy and lactation, systemic diseases. To prevent negative actions, it is recommended to consult with a nutritionist, a therapist.
Pregnancy and lactation
Research on the use of funds during pregnancy and lactation has not been carried out. The active substance can penetrate the placental barrier, causing impaired growth and the formation of the fetus. Therefore, doctors prescribe the drug, if the effect will exceed the possibility of side effects.
L-carnitine can be used from birth. It is recommended for preterm infants, as well as for stunting in children.
For older people, it is possible to use for diseases of the liver, pancreas, cardiovascular system, given the contraindications.
Doctors may prescribe a drug to treat inflammation of the pancreas. Used carnitine in the form of a solution for injection. It is used at 0.5 g in the morning and evening. Therapy is carried out by courses. Each must last for 3 weeks.
The drug is well tolerated, but some people have side effects:
- allergic reactions in the form of rash, itching, redness of the skin;
- dyspeptic disorders: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea;
- abdominal or chest pain;
- muscle weakness in uremia (retention of substances in the body due to renal failure, resulting in autointoxication).
Means are contraindicated in the following conditions and diseases:
- individual intolerance to the active substance, manifested in allergic reactions;
- period of pregnancy and breastfeeding (the action has not been studied enough);
- hyperactivity in children.
It is recommended to be careful in patients with heart failure. In this area, the effect of the drug is not well understood.
Impact on driving
The drug does not affect the function of the central nervous system, so driving a vehicle during its reception is not prohibited. Human consciousness remains clear, vision functions are not impaired.
Interaction with other drugs
Before prescribing L-carnitine or carnitine, you need to know about taking other medicines. This is due to the fact that the drug can interact:
- glucocorticosteroids - accumulation of carnitine in all tissues and organs except the liver;
- Anabolic - enhanced effect.
With other drugs, the interaction does not occur.
The drugs can be used together, because they have no drug interactions. Funds for weight loss will burn fat cells, carnitine - build muscle mass, additionally act as a fat burner. Weight loss is faster. A side effect is that the skin will not have time to decrease in volume, so they sag, if you do not exercise.
Compatibility with alcohol
Alcohol use is not contraindicated. But doctors recommend taking alcoholic beverages no earlier than 9 hours after consuming carnitine.
Cases of drug overdose have been identified. If a person has used it in large quantities, it is recommended to use activated charcoal and consult a doctor. Symptomatic treatment.
Pharmacy sales terms
Carnitine and L-carnitine are sold without a doctor's prescription.
Drugs must be kept out of the reach of children. Direct sunlight on packaging is unacceptable.
From the moment of production, the shelf life of any form is 2 years.
If a person has contraindications, side effects, the price does not suit him, he can acquire analogues of Carnitine and L-carnitine.
L-carnitine and L-tartrate
Tartrate is a source of L-carnitine, a dietary supplement. Enhances metabolism and energy metabolism. Used to increase endurance, weight loss, treatment of infertility in men, the treatment of cardiovascular diseases. The price in pharmacies is 350-1200 rubles. depending on the amount of the drug in the package.
L-Carnitine and Creatine
Creatine is superior to carnitine. It is used in professional sports bodybuilders. It dramatically increases muscle mass, increases endurance during exercise. The average cost is 500-1000 rubles.
The cost depends on the number of ampoules, tablets in the package. On average is 800-1400 rubles.
Dmitry, 34 years old, Rostov
I recently began to actively engage in sports. To add muscle mass, the nutritionist advised using L-carnitine or Carnitine. The first drug - a little more expensive, but the effect of it comes faster.
Olga, 28 years old, Krasnodar
Since childhood, suffering from dysfunction of the thyroid gland. The doctor prescribed Carnitine or L-form carnitine to choose from. He advised to use the second type, its composition provides quick action.
Anna, 22, Moscow
I have been using sports nutrition for a long time. Early used carnitine. But muscle mass was not growing enough. The nutritionist advised to switch to L-carnitine, combining with a diet.