Vinpocetine and Mexidol are drugs that improve cerebral blood flow. Medications are responsible for restoring normal blood circulation, they are prescribed for vascular pathologies. Active ingredients have a beneficial effect on the body. Medicines have some limitations to use.
When is Vinpocytin and Mexidol prescribed?
Nootropic drugs have approximately the same indications for use, prescribed in the instructions. These include:
- acute circulatory disorders in the brain;
- encephalopathy of the circulatory type;
- vascular dystonia;
- congenital atherosclerotic disorders;
- neurosis, accompanied by anxiety disorders;
- myocardial infarction;
- open-angle glaucoma (regardless of stage);
- alcohol withdrawal;
- intoxication developed on the background of long-term antipsychotic medication;
Medications taken with somatic diseases, triggered by stress.
What's the Difference?
Mexidol - a medication of a wider spectrum of action, is well tolerated by patients. In composition, it differs from Vinpocetine. Both drugs are in different price categories. The list of side effects of Vinpocetine is more extensive.
Which drug is better?
It is impossible to unequivocally answer the question which of the medicines is better. Much depends on the general condition of the patient, his diagnosis, the age of the patient and the individual characteristics of the organism. Mexidol is safer for the body: it goes through several stages of purification during the production process.
How to act on the body
Medicines act directly on the central nervous system. Ethylmethylhydroxypyridine succinate (in Mexidol) and vinpocetine are present.
Providing antihypoxic, vasodilating and antiaggregatory effects, Mexidol and Vinpocetine normalize blood circulation in the brain. At the end of therapy in patients:
- dopamine levels increase;
- normalizes metabolic processes in the brain;
- blood circulation is improved;
- rheological properties of blood are improved;
- platelet aggregation is reduced;
- membrane postcellular blood structures stabilize;
- reduced cholesterol levels;
- symptoms of general blood poisoning become less pronounced;
- the severity of endogenous intoxication caused by pancreatitis is reduced;
- cell membranes are stabilized.
Anti-stress effect provides memory recovery, normalization of sleep and behavior after stress.
Effect of joint therapy
The simultaneous intake of drugs is possible for medical reasons. Compatibility is positive, the drugs are not considered analogues of each other. Mexidol and Vinpocetine act as metabolites, expanding blood vessels and providing oxygen to the tissues.
Dosing and Administration
The dosage regimen is selected individually depending on the type of pathology and the form of release of medicines. Instructions for use of Mexidol:
- Solution. Introduced intramuscularly or intravenously (drip, jet). For intravenous administration, the contents of glass vials are diluted in a solution of sodium chloride. When sprayed, the solution is injected slowly (within 5-7 minutes). Daily rate is not more than 1200 mg.
- Pills. Dosage form intended for oral administration. Tablets drink up to 3 times a day. The therapeutic norm is no more than 800 mg, which is equivalent to 6 tablets.
- Pills. Orally, 2-3 times a day, the daily rate is not more than 30 mg. The duration of therapy is no more than 3 months.
- Solution. The dosage form is often prescribed for acute conditions, once - at least 20 mg. Application course - at least 10 days.
With the breakdown of the kidneys and liver, the dosage regimen remains unchanged. It is impossible to cancel drugs abruptly, the dose is reduced gradually.
People suffering from arrhythmia, angina, reduced vascular tone should carefully take nootropic drugs. To improve the condition of the patient, it is preferable to administer the drug parenterally. In chronic pathologies, Mexidol or Vinpocetine tablets are most often prescribed. In cerebral hemorrhagic stroke, drugs are administered intravenously only after the relief of acute conditions.
Pregnancy and lactation
Pregnant and lactating women are not prescribed medication. The risk of placental bleeding in this case is quite high.
Children's age is considered an absolute contraindication.
Elderly patients are advised to begin treatment with half doses. Under the supervision of a physician, the daily rate may be increased.
Side Effects of Vinpocetine and Mexidol
Mexidol and Vinpocetine have the same side effects as a result of incorrectly chosen dosing regimen. These include:
- sleep disorders;
- increased heart rate;
- blood pressure jumps;
- dry mouth;
- bouts of nausea;
- increased sweating.
Patients often complain of allergic reactions, manifested in the form of urticaria, pruritus and hyperemia.
Contraindications to the use of Vinpocetine and Mexidol
Contraindications prescribed in the instructions for Mexidol and Vinpocetine:
- children's age (up to 18 years);
- individual intolerance of the main components;
- pregnancy and lactation.
It is not recommended to take drugs for patients who have had acute hemorrhagic stroke and are suffering from arrhythmia of a pronounced type.
Impact on driving
Nootropic drugs do not affect the speed of psychomotor reactions and concentration. Driving and other vehicles allowed.
Interaction with other drugs
Medicines can be combined with other drugs prescribed by a doctor for the treatment of somatic pathologies. Mexidol and Vinpocetine are able to enhance the effect of anti-parkinsonian, anticonvulsant, tranquilizing, neuroleptic and anti-depressive medications. To reduce the risk of side effects, it is necessary to reduce the daily dose of nootropic drugs. Under the influence of the active components of Vinpocetine and Mexidol, the severity of the toxic properties of ethanol.
No interaction was found with Imipramine, Digoxin, Acenocoumarol, Glibenclamide, Hydrochlorothiazide, beta-blockers and Clopamide in nootropic drugs.
Compatibility with alcohol
Mexidol and Vinpocetine has an antioxidant, nootropic and hepatoprotective effect, so the drugs can be taken after heavy alcoholic drinks to reduce the toxic effect. The active substances penetrate the liver and brain, relieving the symptoms of intoxication, but not protecting the cells. Medicines are able to eliminate the effects of alcohol intake:
- accelerates the elimination of toxic substances from the liver;
- removes signs of intoxication;
- eliminates migraine.
Nootropic drugs are not able to prevent the development of cirrhosis and mental disorders, if the patient does not stop drinking alcohol.
Repeated excess of the daily norm leads to the appearance of characteristic symptoms of overdose. These include:
- dizziness (up to loss of consciousness);
- uncontrollable vomiting;
- blood pressure surges.
With a sharp deterioration in the condition of the patient should give a drink a weak solution of potassium permanganate and activated carbon. If the patient's state of health has not returned to normal, it is necessary to contact a medical institution where the doctor will prescribe symptomatic treatment.
Pharmacy sales terms
Medicines require prescription from pharmacies.
It is recommended to keep opened packages in a cool place, away from pets and small children.
Shelf life - no more than 4 years.
Medicines have a large number of analogues in pill form and in the form of solutions. These include:
- Hypoxen. Available in the form of capsules and tablets. Hypoxene is present in the composition (sodium polyhydroxyphenylene thiosulfonate). It has a pronounced antioxidant and antihypoxic effect. Normalizes blood circulation and provides oxygen to the cells. Price - from 680 rubles.
- Cytoflavin. Available in the form of a solution and tablets. In the composition there are several main components: riboxin, nicotinamide, succinic acid. The drug directly affects the central nervous system, normalizing metabolism. Price - from 430 rubles.
- Kombilipen. Available in tablet form and in solution. Active ingredients: lidocaine hydrochloride, cyanocobalamin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine hydrochloride. Multivitamin complex is considered a source of glucose. Active elements are involved in the synthesis of catecholamines. Cost - from 150 rubles.
- Trigamma. Multivitamin complex, which includes thiamine, lidocaine, pyridoxine, cyanocobalamin. The solution is administered intramuscularly, at least 2 times a day. It acts as an anesthetic, metabolic, anti-inflammatory agent.
The drugs can be used for myalgia, paresis of the facial nerve and polyneuropathy. Medicines have a number of contraindications, therefore it is forbidden to select them yourself. Nootropics should be prescribed by a doctor.
The cost of Mexidol and Vinpocetine varies depending on the form of release and the place of sale. Vinpocetine - from 180 rubles., Vinpocetine Forte - from 95 rubles., Solution - from 65 rubles. for 5 ampoules. The price of Mexidol (solution) - from 460 rubles., Tablets - from 350 rubles.
Lyudmila, neurologist, Yekaterinburg
Psychostimulant and nootropic drug Vinpocetine prescribed for vertebrobasilar insufficiency. The effectiveness of the drug tested in practice. In most cases, the nootropic is well tolerated by patients, side effects are rare. Patients sometimes complain of allergic reactions that go away on their own after several days. Vinpocetine under the state program is issued free of charge to pensioners and the disabled.
Svetlana, 34 years old, Rostov-on-Don
Half a year ago, she became often dizzy, blamed everything on fatigue. After fainting, she decided to consult a doctor. The specialist prescribed Mexidol tablets, the drug quickly helped, side effects did not arise. Periodically, I take medication for 2-3 courses per year. The cost is quite high, but the quality corresponds to it.